While supermarkets are reserving their online shopping and delivery services for vulnerable people during the lockdown, there are thousands of independent Kiwi businesses who are offering direct food delivery during the lockdown.
To support you in navigating your way through the food delivery options in New Zealand, we’ve curated a list of our top picks for a healthy lockdown.
Skip to the recommendations by clicking the items in this list:
Most of the items included in our Plant-Based Diet Grocery Shopping List can be purchased online from Ceres Organics - New Zealand's first and largest organic food distributor. You can find a good selection of their organic pantry staples in supermarkets and health stores across New Zealand, but they also have their own online store, making it easy to get everything you need in one shop.
- Find everything you need for your plant-based kitchen, including our go-to for pantry staples like apple cider vinegar, quinoa, coconut aminos and tahini
- Free NZ delivery for orders over $175 (see shipping rates for orders under $175)
- For the best range of raw plant-based snacks delivered to your door, you can't go past the Little Bird Organics' online store
- If you're looking for organic, nutrient-dense snacks or have any alergies or food sensitivities to look out for - you'll find something here: everything is refined sugar free, dairy free and vegan (and mostly gluten free)
- We can happily recommend everything from the Little Bird Organics range - you'll be hard pressed to find more nutrient-dense snacks in New Zealand and their famous macaroons are the perfect afternoon pick-me-up or try their almond crackers for a savoury, Keto-friendly option
- Organic, gluten-free granola handcrafted in Nelson
- If you're a granola lover - we 100% recommend Yum's Dark Choc Granola as a smoothie bowl topper or as dessert with coconut yoghurt (yes, it's that good)!
- Free delivery NZ wide for orders over $40
- Award-winning collection of nut butters
- In addition to peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter, they have an epic range of more indulgent butters like Salted Macadamia with Maple and Vanilla or Scorched Almond with Organic Cacoa (with no refined sugars)
- Nut butter is a key pantry staple - not only can you use nut butters on toast, on top of smoothie bowls or in cooking and baking, they're also super handy for making instant nut milk. We love using cashew butter in our turmeric latte recipe.
- From $7.99 for a jumbo 500g of Peanut Butter
- Free shipping NZ wide on all orders over $40
Gut Health Boosters
Stressful times can have a direct impact on your gut health so it's essential to make sure you're eating a wide variety of colourful fruit and vegetables to help maintain a healthy gut flora profile. Here are a few of our favourite food delivery options to support optimal gut health.
- Organic saurekraut and kimchi, prepared in small batches using organic ingredients and loaded with beneficial live cultures
- We love the Dill Pickle for an alternative to gherkin and Kimchi for a spicy kick to any meal
- $13.50 per jar
- $5.57 for delivery or free North Island delivery on orders over $50
- New Zealand made kombucha using organic and locally-sourced ingredients
- Traditionally brewed booch - not from concentrate
- Unique flavour combos like 'Strawberry, Lime, Manuka and Mint' and 'Mango, Kawakawa and Lime' - we recommend getting the mixed box to sample the full range
- $50 for a box of 15 bottles ($3.33 per bottle)
- Apple cider vinegar base, infused with roots, and inspired by a traditional gut loving and immune-supporting brew
- Excellent digestive aid and is loaded with anti-microbial and antibacteria roots and herbs to support your immune system
- Best enjoyed first thing in the morning or before a meal - we love it with mashed avocado for a tasty guacamole
- $34.95 per bottle
- Free delivery NZ wide
Free Range Meat and Seafood Delivery
If knowing where your food comes from is important to you, we can personally recommend the good folk at Green Meadows Beef and Egmont Seafoods to deliver the goods.
- Export-quality, grass-fed angus beef boxes
- Boxes start at $129 for the 5kg Quartlet Box
- Customise your box by swapping out standard items with similar cuts
- Free delivery NZ wide
- Fresh-of-the-boat seafood
- Supplier to many local restaurants in the Taranaki region so you can expect the freshest fish
- Free North Island wide delivery for orders over $50
When you're working from home, having a quality loaf of bread on stand-by will ensure you can whip up a quick lunch so you have more time to get outside on your lunch break (our smoothies are also great for this)! Whether avocado and tomtato or peanut butter and banana are your jam, these bread delivery options will have you covered.
- All proceeds from the sale of the bread sponsors a youth education program called Hands-On Food which aims is to connect the students and their education with the community
- 100% vegan with gluten free options
- Sourdough and sprouted bread options - we love the rosemary and olive sourgdough and buckwheat with walnuts sprouted loaves
- From $10 per loaf
- Spend over $29 for free delivery
- Order on Thurday for delivery on Tuesday
- Organic wholefood breads and bread mixes
- Gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free, paleo and vegan
- From $10 per loaf
- $10 for North Island delivery (bread freezes well so you can buy in bulk to bring down the average delivery cost per loaf)
- Iconic New Plymouth sourdough bakers now offering a local delivery service
- Gluten free option available (and it's the goods)!
- Orders for next week's bread will open on Saturday - head to the online shop to place an order
Like the supermarkets, My Food Bag has experienced unprecedented levels of demand, and have been unable to take new orders. If you've been hanging out for My Food Bag, you're in luck - they're now able to accept orders from new customers. Or if you're looking to try an alternative food subscription box, WOOP is a trusty local alternative - just make sure they deliver to your area if you live outside of the big cities. Hello Fresh is another meal kit option that offers nationwide delivery and although it's not NZ-owned, we've kept it in the mix as it's becoming an increasingly popular option for Kiwis.
- Best range of options, including Fresh Start and Bargain Box, as well as plant-based and gluten-free food bags
- Options start from $8.50 per serve (meals ready in 30-50 minutes)
- Free delivery NZ wide
- Budget-friendly meal kit with simple, no-fuss meals
- Options start from $7.75 per serve
- $9.99 for delivery NZ wide
Ready Made Meals
Finding pre-made meals in New Zealand using wholefood ingredients and no preservatives is no longer out of the question with providers like Plate Up and Eat a Rainbow changing the game. Now you can get your hands on ready-made meals using ingredients you can trust.
- Best option for fresh pre-made meals using 100% wholefood ingredients
- Paleo, gluten free, dairy free + vegetarian, vegan and keto options available
- $16.99 per meal (bulk buy options available to reduce average cost per meal)
- $10 delivery New Zealand wide
- Order before 4pm Thursday for delivery on Wednesday, or before 4pm on Monday for Friday delivery
- Frozen pre-made Kiwi kid favourites with no added salt or sugar
- Designed for kids, adults managing portions and elderly seeking quality meals
- $5.90 for small meal, $6.90 for large meal
- $15 North Island delivery, $20 South Island delivery
- Orders before 12pm for next day delivery (Tuesday to Friday delivery)
We'd love to know which food delivery services are keepinng you and your family healthy over the lockdown - send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to feature your recommendations.
As an essential food delivery service, our Superfood Smoothie Boxes are still available during the lockdown - just place your order before midnight on Wednesday for delivery on Tuesday.